- It is illegal to own a red car in Shanghai China. Don't order Red Ferrari.
- The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law, which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
- In 1665, the King of England banned Coffee Houses, Claiming that people were meeting to Conspire against him at these places.
- Legislation passed during World War I making it illegal to say "gesundheit" to a sneezer was never repealed.
- It's against the law to have a pet dog in Iceland!
- Centuries ago, purchasing real estate often required having one or more limbs amputated in order to prevent the purchaser from running away to avoid repayment of the loan. Hence an expensive purchase was said to cost "an arm and a leg."
- In Alaska, it is legal to shoot bears. However, waking a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited.
- In 1386, a pig in France was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child.
- Just before the US started bombing Baghdad, nearly $1 billion dollars was stolen from the Central Bank of Iraq and is now the largest bank robbery in history.
- In France, it is legal to marry a dead person!
- In Scotland it is illegal to be a drunk in possession of a cow.
- It was once against the law to slam your car door in a city in Switzerland!
- In Singapore, it is illegal to sell or own chewing gum.
- In Hong Kong, a betrayed wife is legally allowed to kill her adulterous husband, but may only do so with her bare hands. (The husband's lover, on the other hand, may be killed in any manner desired.)
- In Saudi Arabia, a woman reportedly may divorce her husband if he does not keep her supplied with coffee.
- In Georgia, US, donkeys may not be kept in bathtubs.
How to be Happy Now and for Ever?
4 years ago